On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:29:59 +0200, rosenfield.alb...@gmail.com wrote:

> > FWIW I am not the one going to implement this.
>
> May I enquire why not?

1. I'm just a co-maint for DBI. I take no decisions in areas that
   affect that much. (I just a bit responsible for DBD::File and some
   docs. And I fix some bugs.
2. I have other modules that require my attention, where I still am the
   sole maintainer.
3. I have payed $work that takes up enough of my free time as well.

> Where do you see trouble brewing?

• dependencies

  I still think that DBI should be XS, and people should really try
  very very hard to make that work. Pure-perl DBI won't fly. Modules
  and applications that are now depending on DBI do not want to be
  depending on an extra layer, however thin it might be.

• speed

  DBI was (and still is) written to get the last nanosecond out of your
  database connection. Any slowdown will not be appreciated by the
  current user-base.

> If there be consensus, I'd be happy to expend some time and effort.
> Or perhaps donate money to someone with greater skill than myself to
> do it :-).

DBI is Tim's product, but getting more and more a community effort.
I bet he'd love your work on getting DBI::PurePerl working withing the
current DBI framework without the current restrictions and/or drawbacks.

--
H.Merijn Brand  http://tux.nl      Perl Monger  http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using & porting perl 5.6.2, 5.8.x, 5.10.x, 5.11.x on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00,