Am 02.07.2013 um 00:56 schrieb Martin J. Evans <boh...@ntlworld.com>:

> Apologies for top posting and I'll give this post the attention it deserves
> later (by all means track me down Jens if I forget) but one thing struck me
> immediately and that was sections in DBD pod like DBD::ODBC's deviations from
> the DBI specification at
> http://search.cpan.org/~mjevans/DBD-ODBC-1.43/ODBC.pm#Deviations_from_the_DBI_specification
>
> Some of these might be really difficult to deal with in test code. Over the
> years I've submitted many patches to tighten the DBI specification but at the
> end of the day having maintained a DBD for quite a while deviations from the
> specification are just reality. Trying to make all DBDs the same is a really
> difficult task which DBI does well for the most part but I keep coming up
> with new cases - just search in dbi-dev for threads containing
> "clarification" from me. In particular see last_insert_id which DBD::ODBC has
> almost no chance of supporting.
>
> As an aside the err, native and errstr are still a continual problem for some
> of the work I do in that there is only one per DBI and they are not per stmt
> - contrary to ODBC where the native error and error string is per stmt, dbc
> or env. Yes, I could have done something about this but it always seemed
> harder to address than it first seemed since it is engrained in DBI since day
> one. Or my memory could be worse than I think and Tim will correct me.

That's all right, and even more worth finding a good
solution for overall specification testing.

But that (even if quick read Tim's reply before going
to be convinced me) takes exactly the same line as
Tim's suggestion for AUTHOR_TESTING …
I will make a proposal in the reply of Tim, hope that
doesn't hurt you :)

Cheers
--
Jens Rehsack