Hello all,

I am a consultant brought in to manage and restructure some Perl scripts that
were written some time ago.  The programmer at that time was using the
following code to do a query from within a CGI page.

     ${query} = "SELECT ccyymmddhh FROM inventory ORDER BY ccyymmddhh ;" ;
        open( INPUT, "echo \"${query}\" |
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -A -q -N gso|" ) ;
        @{ccyymmddhh} = <INPUT> ;
        chomp( @{ccyymmddhh} ) ;
        close( INPUT ) ;

I think that I should clean this up and reprogram this to use DBD::mysql
rather than the way he does it here.

Anyone have any idea if it would improve performance?

I'd love to hear from people that have gone doing it this way to using DBI.

Obviously I can run benchmarks before and after and see which takes longer,
and I think that using DBI is not only much easier to read and manage, but
probably a little faster.  Just seeking the advice of others.

Thanks,
Kevin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]