I didn't see anything which explicitly confirmed this in a couple
google searches on this group, so...

I observe that when I set NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8 that while I
retrieve the correct bytes from the database, the utf8 flag is not
set.  Is this correct or am I possibly not setting up my connection
correctly.

I'm using Oracle, if it matters at all, and versions of everything
from about 2 months ago, so maybe there are newer versions that fix
this?

Thanks,

Kevin

(P.S.  I posted this once through google, but they don't think this
groups is moderated, and apparently that kept it from going out the
first time.  I think. Apologies to anyone who sees this twice)