I'm posting this on the off-chance that Stefan also reads this list.
I received an almost anonymous bug report from "Guest via RT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>", of which the closing lines said
"Module: DBD-Informix-2003.03.0401.  I hope this will help you find
this bug and fix it.  Sincerely yours Stefan".

Dear Stefan,

Thanks for reporting the problem with DBD::Informix 2003.03.0401.
Please can you contact me again other than anonymously so I can
discuss your problem with you.  I'd also like to see the Informix.xs,
Informix.xsi and Informix.c files you have, and I'd like to know the
version of DBI that you are using.

I truly don't see how you can run into problems with the correct
versions of DBI and DBD::Informix.  However, as you indicate, there is
an issue documented in the ChangeLog exactly equivalent to yours, but
I was not able to fully reproduce that either.  Did you ensure that
the directory where you extracted the files was completely unused?

--
Jonathan Leffler                           #include <disclaimer.h>
STSM, Informix Database Engineering, IBM Data Management