On Apr 5, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Tim Bunce wrote:

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 11:46:21AM -0700, Patrick Galbraith wrote:
Steve,

There is a version of DBD::mysql (2.9015) that does support
placeholders in the server, via CVS (or I can package it  and send it
to you). I would be glad to give you a version of it to try out, and I
think it may deal with your problem better than the current driver
(which emulates it) the new driver uses the database to handle
placeholders. I have tested this code on numerous SQL statements with
placeholders, and it works great.

That's great. But the behavior when placeholders are emulated[1] still could be easily improved with a one-line code change.

Tim,

I'll fix this ;)

Tim.

[1] I'm presuming that the latest version still lets you use
emulated placeholders either optionally or when talking to old
servers. Is that right?

Yes, if the version of mysql is less than 4.1.3, it doesn't even compile in server-side-prepare. With a server > 4.1.3, one sets 'mysql_server_prepare=1' in the DSN to enable it, and without it, it defaults to old behaviour.

Kind regards,

Patrick

Patrick Galbraith Senior Software Developer
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.mysql.com

"Whatever action a great man performs, common men follow. Whatever standards he sets by exemplary acts, all the world pursues" -- Bhagavad Gita