I have solved this problem for one configuration (Informix) as follows:
a)  check with legal dept regarding licenses (e.g. Artistic)
b)  build all required versions of Perl, DBI, DBD on one machine
c)  build tar files for Perl, DBI, DBD
d)  work installation of those tar files into the installation process

Steps b) and c) involve using e.g.
  $ make install DESTDIR=/tmp/local
as suggested in the INSTALL file for Perl.  You can then construct a tar
file from that directory.  For each machine someone (or some script) has
to untar it into /usr/local.

-Will

     - - - - - Appended by Scientific Atlanta, a Cisco company - - - - -  This
e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential,
proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is
solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering
it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message
or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.