I'm not really qualified to comment on DBD::mysql, but...

I just saw your note on mysql internals, and suspect your
request there is unlikely to be given serious consideration.

I think your best bet might be to work with the DBD::mysql maintainers
to implement some driver-specific nonblocking versions of
execute/prepare (and maybe fetch), as well as support for
'out of band' cancel.

I've implemented a similar capability for DBD::Teradata
with some success, and IIRC there has been some mention
of a general async i/f for DBI for awhile. I'm not
terribly familiar w/ MySQL's client libs, but I'd hope
they provide support for such capability. Or alternately,
I believe ODBC provides an async i/f which might be wired into
DBD::ODBC.

HTH,
Dean Arnold
Presicient Corp.