On 6 Nov 2006 at 14:12, Also Sprach Peter J. Holzer:

> On 2006-11-06 11:58:44 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I'm currently, for speed, using execute, bind_columns, fetch.
> > However, the number of columns I will be fetching is going to
> > increase. This is a pita for defining bind variables etc.
> > So, given that speed is paramount, should I continue with this
> > method or should I switch to fetch hashref?
>
> This is a question only you yourself answer.
>
> Rewrite your code to use hashref.
>
> *Measure* how much slower it is.

I did that just after sending my email. Bizarrely enough, the hashref _is_
faster by
nearly a second (3.2 secs to nearly 2.2). I can't believe there should be that
much
difference.
_But_ I can't give it a proper test until the server load is more stable,
probably late at
night.
I was just wondering if anyone had checked it before and if there was a cut off
point
where the number of vars makes the difference negligible. I wouldn't have
thought
so, but I thought I'd ask.

John