On 1/23/07, Martin Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks Jonathan,

Jonathan Leffler wrote:
> DBD::Informix is careful about errors.

I would hope all DBDs are ;-)

> Each statement handle keeps a copy of its most recent status/error
> information out of the global sqlca variable (plus the sqlstate
variable).
> Each database handle has a copy of the most recently executed
statement's
> error/status information.  Of course, this is made more complex by
> AutoCommit which requires extra statements to be executed to simulate
the
> AutoCommit; you have to ignore the status of the extra statements when
they
> succeed, but record the error if they fail.

The 'you' in "you have to ignore" is 'the writer of DBD::Informix', not the
programmer using DBD::Informix.  Sorry if that misled you.

So, I think you are saying that if you executed the following with
DBD::Informix:

my $dbh = DBI->connect({RaiseError=>1});

eval {
        $dbh->begin_work;
        my $sth = $dbh->prepare(q/insert into table values (1)/);
        $sth->execute; # execute fails - say duplicate key error
        $dbh->commit;
};
$dbh->err here would be what $sth->err was above in the eval after the
execute (assuming you could have looked at $sth->err which you can't in
this case because RaiseError was set).

Yes?

No.  $dbh->err would reflect the last statement executed on the $dbh - that
is, the commit, unless the prepare or execute (or begin_work) raised an
error, in which case it would reflect that error.

To demonstrate what I was referring to, consider this context:

my $st1 = $dbh->prepare("...");
my $st2 = $dbh->prepare("...");

$dbh->do('...');
# $dbh->err reflects the 'do'
$st1->execute;
# $st1->err reflects the execute; so does $dbh->err
$st2->execute;
# $st2->err reflects the second execute; so does $dbh->err; but $st1->err
hasn't changed.
$dbh->do('...');
# $dbh->err reflects the second 'do', but neither $st1->err nor $st2->err
has been affected.

The AutoCommit stuff I mentioned is related to the implicit begin work
before the statement and implicit commit work after the statement that
achieve the effect of AutoCommit in a database that doesn't auto-commit
anyway.  (I'll go into the gory details if you want - but only after you've
read the DBD::Informix documentation and have questions arising.)

--
Jonathan Leffler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2005.02 - http://dbi.perl.org