No, I didn't mean to imply that the web user's file has already been uploaded
and saved in a file on the Apache server.

Good point about the multiple trips between the Apache server and the DBMS.
Although the 1024 was arbitrary, I could have made that bigger like 32K.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jonathan Leffler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 8:25 PM,
Bong Tumanut  wrote:

> I'm writing an Apache::ASP program to upload a file and store it in a LOB
> column in DB2.  Is there a way to store the uploaded file in pieces, i.e.
>

> while(read($filehandle, $data, 1024))
> {
>  # data from the uploaded file read into $data
>  # load all $data into a LOB column
> };
> I know the uploaded file can be stored in a file and then the file, in
> turn, is bound to a LOB column.  But this is extra processing.
>
> I also know that I can store the whole file in a variable but that could
> take up a lot of memory.

Round trips to the database are expensive too.  I'd go with store the whole
LOB in a file and then bind that to the LOB - it will be be less stress on
the system overall, I think.  It depends slightly on the size of the files
on average, but if you're going to do more than two round trips in fragments
(more than 2 KB files/LOBs), then you should think again.

Also, your comments imply the data is already in an uploaded file - so
aren't you making busy work for yourself?

And, I strongly suspect this would apply to any DBMS where the client is in
a separate process from the DBMS.

--
Jonathan Leffler   #include
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2008.0229 - http://dbi.perl.org