Parag Kalra wrote:
> Ok thanks Martin. Sorry for turning up so late on this
>
> One quick question - The box on which I am trying to connect has Informatica
> ODBC driver to connect to SQL server.

Never heard of this driver or used it. Perhaps it is really the Data
Direct driver.

> So any idea if I can use this driver to connect Oracle to SQL Server or as a
> matter of fact by any chance I can make it use through Perl.
>
> Cheers,
> Parag

If you have an ODBC Driver for SQL Server you should be able to talk to
SQL Server through DBI and DBD::ODBC but you'll need an ODBC Driver
manager too. This is where things might get a little tricky in your case
as IF the Informatica ODBC Driver is actually the Data Direct driver
then they used to have some unusual licensing terms about only using
their drivers with their driver manager and I have no experience with
either. Otherwise, you'll need unixODBC for an ODBC Driver Manager
(http://www.unixodbc.org).

To make Oracle talk to SQL Server you install Oracle's dgodbc but bare
in mind that dgodbc comes in 32bit and 64bit builds and you'll need to
match it with your driver and driver manager. See
http://www.easysoft.com/applications/oracle/database-gateway-dg4odbc.html

If you can install other software there are other ODBC drivers that come
packaged with a driver manager to suite your platform that I know work
behind dg4odbc - like ours :-)

Martin
--
Martin J. Evans