Hi all,

After talking to Pali and looking at how other drivers have handled the issue, the best way forward will be to deal with solving the UTF-8 issue correctly as was attempted in May. This will be a problem for some, but only due to having to been accustomed to a work-around that relies on a intermittent and buggy implementation. The plan is to give ample time to let people prepare and comment as well as give them a chance to try the changes and adjust prior to stable release. I'm going to look through the mailing list and find particularly those who had problems back in May and June when we tried this before and work with them in advance of the change.

DBD::mysql should be on par with all the other DBD drivers and allow transparent usage regardless of backing RDBMS, and this really is the only way. It will also allow for other fixes to proceed and the driver to continue improving and supporting all versions and enhancements of MySQL and MariaDB.

Please do give us your thoughts on this as we want to be as helpful and transparent as possible.

Thank you!

Patrick