On Friday 10 November 2017 10:13:55 Patrick M. Galbraith wrote:
> Greetings all!
>
> Michiel and I have been talking, weighing options of what course to take in
> dealing with moving forward-- with the goal of both offering both stability
> and the choice to have the latest functionality and bug fixes as well as
> give contributors the opportunity to be part of overall improvements to the
> driver.
>
> What we are going to do is:
>
> Add to the connection the ability to turn on proper UTF handling with
> 'mysql_enable_proper_unicode'. This gives the user volition the option to
> knowingly
> toggle whether they want the new functionality and understand that
> data structures returned or accepted by the driver might be different
> than without this setting.
>
> The other options had their merits, but we think this will solve the issue
> while keeping the driver unified and prevent divergence.
>
> Thank you for your input over the last couple months-- we look forward to
> moving ahead!
>
> Patrick and Michiel

Hi! And what are you going to do with all commits which you reverted in
4.043 version? As I remember, months ago you wrote that you reapply
fixes, but nothing happened. Instead you started merging conflicting
new pull requests which other people opened on github. This just prevent
any future reintroduction of fixes which were already done and was
reverted. Or you going to invent wheel again? I'm really surprised that
you now want to throw out everything which I did, including security
fixes for SSL/TLS or new versions of MariaDB/MySQL (with huge test
setup). Otherwise I do not understand why you have not looked at
reverted commit yet... Or are you expecting that new after one year I
should start rebasing all my commits which I did on top of master and
opening pull requests again and again? Sorry, but this really look that
you are not interested in new supporting new MariaDB version and now is
really a good time to create a fork of DBD::mysql which would contains
support for new MariaDB, huge test coverage and security fixes for
SSL/TLS.