Tie::Function can be used to bind $dbh->quote to a syntactical hash, so you
can interpolate arbitrary strings easier. When I do that I name the hash
%Q, and then it's safe to do things like

$sql_text = "select id from mytable where foo=$Q{$foo}";

rather than counting placeholders.

--
"I don't know about that, as it is outside of my area of expertise." --
competent specialized practitioners, all the time