News release

JISC support for MPs' peer-review report

MPs recently recommended improvements to the way scientific papers are checked
before they are published, calling for the peer review process to be more
transparent.

Read the BBC article about the report
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14314501>

The recommendations came out of a House of Commons Science and Technology
Committee report which also urged that researchers make their scientific data
publicly available, and that reviewers have formal training.

Executive secretary at JISC, Dr Malcolm Read, said: "At JISC we strongly
support the recommendations of the House of Commons Committee report.  Though
most researchers agree with the principles of peer review, many feel there is
room to improve how it is implemented.  Recently there have been suggestions
about alternatives, like open peer review and JISC has funded universities to
look into open access academic journals which are compiled from other openly
available material."

JISC is already acting on a number of the recommendations - including funding
the Dryad project mentioned in the report.  Dryad-UK provides a repository for
the data underpinning research articles, encouraging greater research openness.
The BMJ Open journal and titles from BioMedCentral and PLoS have become
partners, integrating their submission process with Dryad and strongly
encouraging authors to deposit research data.

Neil Jacobs, programme director at JISC, said, "We are also engaged in
productive collaboration with innovative publishers such as PLoS, as well as
industry bodies, for example on standardising the way usage statistics for
articles are reported."

The government report describes access to data as 'fundamental' for researchers
to reproduce, verify and build on each others' results.

This spirit of openness is something JISC supports, through its work with the
UK Research Councils.

However, there are challenges, as JISC's programme manager for data management
Simon Hodson explains, "These objectives will be difficult to realise unless
research practice and supporting systems and infrastructures are developed to
make good practice easier.  Similarly, researchers will feel little motivation
to make data available in a timely way unless conventions of recognition and
reward evolve to encompass the effort required to ensure data quality and
reusability.  The JISC managing research data programme is helping universities
support researchers in responding to these challenges."

ends

JISC's position on why becoming more open can benefit colleges and universities
<http://www.jisc.ac.uk/openaccess>

How can I better manage my research data?
<http://www.jisc.ac.uk/supportingyourinstitution/researchexcellence/datamanagement.aspx>

Advice on data management planning from the Digital Curation Centre
<http://www.dcc.ac.uk/resources/data-management-plans>

Follow the 'importance of good data management' event online in advance and on
the day (13 Sept 2011)
<http://www.jisc.ac.uk/events/2011/09/researchintegrity/conferenceonline.aspx>