Thank Joy,

Let's be clear. It's very difficult to initially fund research activities on
an international scale. It's impossible to sustain them if they aren't on an
international scale. That's the ..... (what's the word?). Our institutions
appear to have a vast interest in R(esearch) and very little interest in the
D(evelopment) which is supposed, i thought, to follow it.

If we are serious about sustainability, then we need to broaden the
"shared/common" services, both I and c, focus a little less on the survival
of existing institutions and place a little more importance on the global
(research) groups which, supposedly, they are meant to support. We're not
going to get out of this (information overload) mess without using a
different way of thinking to the thinking which got us into it.

To give the conversation about research a little more gravitas, let me point
out that the 5% that each reader lost from the value of their pension fund
last week, will lead to an education in what happens when an entire economic
system is founded on a financial instrument called a Credit Default Swap. By
this time next year it will have cost each of them at least 30% of the value
of their nest eggs, unless it's already in cash. By that point, we can
reflect on the fact that our institutionalised grab for short-term funding
into "Research Management" led us into a lifecycle of broad social
indifference.

Incremental progress in an old paradigm no longer work. You put it well.
".... the problem is deciding where the financial support will have the
greatest impact". It's also deciding how to do that with less resources. If
I can convince your readers that they are in the Media business and not the
Research or Education business, we might become capable of doing just that.
I also hope that no one will take offence to my GB Shaw method of
overstatement. Having lost a wife to the Big C, and discovering less than
half of cancer research can be found easily, i write to relieve myself of
hate (of existing institutions), not spread love as John does.

So let me start here. http://tiny.cc/fw69b It's a report to network
operators (the "mousetrap builders" in each country = NREN). They 'Hamster
Wheel' (to use Lorcan Dempsey's terminology) in their social indifference as
much as cheesemakers (curators) do.
Eventually, if we can get the two world views to understand one another, we
might become capable of making our new global institutions sustainable.

I'll also ask that you find me the group within your 'continental' funders
who are responsible for sharing the public resources for "Research
Management". This is the mousetrap builder's little group.
http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/ict/fire/contacts_en.html
If we're starting from the bottom up, I'd like to know we are dealing with
people, not institutionalized behaviour.
Regards, simon