This is probably a really simple question to answer, but I haven't found
the fix yet.

I recently upgraded my Ubuntu distribution to 16.04 and I'm trying to
recompile deal.II (version 8.3) for the new OS. Note that I'm using version
3.4 of CMake which comes packaged with Ubuntu 16.04. Everything runs fine
until I get this error from make:
[ 83%] Built target obj_meshworker.release
make[2]: *** No rule to make target '/usr/lib/liblapack.so', needed by
'lib/libdeal_II.so.8.3.0'.  Stop.
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:4643: recipe for target
'source/CMakeFiles/deal_II.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [source/CMakeFiles/deal_II.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

This seems odd since there is a file liblapack.so in the /usr/lib/
directory. Even specifying the directory with -DLAPACK_DIR=/usr/lib doesn't
fix the problem. I'm not using any external linear algebra libraries, just
available BLAS and LAPACK and routines packaged with deal.II.

Some searching on Google suggests it might be an issue with CMake finding
the same library in multiple directories. If I type 'locate liblapack.so'
in my terminal, I get this result:

/etc/alternatives/liblapack.so.3
/etc/alternatives/liblapack.so.3gf
/usr/lib/liblapack.so.3
/usr/lib/liblapack.so.3gf
/usr/lib/lapack/liblapack.so.3
/usr/lib/lapack/liblapack.so.3.6.0
/usr/lib/openblas-base/liblapack.so.3
/var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/liblapack.so.3

Another possibility is that it's a missing Ubuntu package that I need to
download, but there's no hint as to which one.

Has anyone seen this error before and knows how to fix it?