Konstantin,
1. I had already some experience with deal.II by the time we started to
work on efficient solver and high-order implementation. It was the easiest
way.

2. Going open-source properly requires a significant time investments.
Since I'm not in a CS or applied math department, it's quite difficult to
justify this time spending at this stage. But I hope to be able to do it
one day.

Best,
Alexander