1 - Can I manage the exception in a way that in case CG does not converge I
can try GMRes rather than aborting? Is the usual try-catch instruction working?
2 - I see that the class PETScWrappers implements both BiCGStab and GMRes. Can
you pinpoint to an example?

Yes, this works. Here is an example where we switch from one preconditioner to another if the first is not good enough to lead to convergence:

https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/blob/master/source/simulator/solver.cc#L745