Dear Roberto,

I think the problem is that you are using GridTools::transform (via
GridTools::rotate), in a distributed triangulation. This should not be
done, as noted
here:
https://www.dealii.org/8.5.0/doxygen/deal.II/namespaceGridTools.html#a212e99cf0d923cebfa04f1d23fa60b04

If this is indeed the root of the issue, I see two options:

1. Rotate your problem, rather than your triangulation, 90 degrees.
2. You can create a temporary local normal triangulation, rotate it, and
finally copy into the distributed triangulation. That is, something in the
lines of

>> Triangulation<2> tri_tmp;
>
> GridGenerator::hyper_cube_slit(tri_tmp, -1, 1, false);
>
> GridTools::rotate(-M_PI/2, tri_tmp);
>

>> triangultion.copy_triangulation(tri_tmp);
>
> triangulation.refine_global (6);
>
> Bests,
Lucas