Phani,

Regarding the distribution of indices for degrees of freedom it says in the manual " Since the triangulation is traversed starting with the cells of the coarsest active level and going to more refined levels, the lowest numbers for dofs are given to the largest cells as well as their bounding lines and vertices, with the dofs of more refined cells getting higher numbers."

Now I generated one cell using GridGenerator::hyper_cube(triangulation) and then did a global refinement to generate 8 cells using triangulation.refine_global(1). After attaching the dofHandler object to the triangulation and I printed the global indices and coordinates of support points. *I expected that the new vertices which are created after the global refinement will have higher numbers than the numbers corresponding to corner vertices which are originally there in the coarsest cell. But I noticed the numbering of vertices is different. *

You say "vertices...will have higher numbers", by which I assume you refer to the DoF indices located on these vertices, not the vertex indices, correct? (The latter is a property of the triangulation, the former of the DoFHandler.)

Am I missing anything here? Is there anyway to get the new vertices of the refined mesh numbered so that they have the higher numbers than the vertices of the coarsest cell. I need this particular numbering to be continued for further global refinements.

You cannot change the vertex indices. But assuming I am right with my statement above, you *can* of course change the DoF indices.

The numbering you observe results from the fact that "the lowest numbers for dofs are given to the largest cells as well as their bounding lines and vertices, with the dofs of more refined cells getting higher numbers." In your case, *all* cells are at the same level, so numbering of DoFs happens by just walking through all active cells, which are the ones on level 1 in your case.

If you want to change DoF indices, you can always use DoFHandler::renumber_dofs() and just provide whatever ordering you want.