Hi Kendra,

> Thank you, Jean-Paul, for the hint. Unfortunately this is not really what I
> am looking for. I found a solution (that I don't like) by iterating through
> two meshes on different levels simultaneously. Once I find a good solution I
> will post it here and link to the code.

I read your question again and I recognise that I didn’t interpret it correctly
at all.

Do I understand correctly that your meshes are identical up to a certain level
n_c and then in the one mesh undergoes further refinement? I think that if you
iterate over all cells on levels [0,n_c) then they should be traversed
identically (this would require some confirmation though). What you could then
do for each “coarse cell” (potentially an inactive one) on your second grid is
to traverse all of its children until you reach the end of the child tree -
those would be your active child cells. If you’re not needing to sweep up and
down the child tree then you could cache the correspondence between the coarse
cell on mesh 1 and the active children cells on mesh 2.

Best,
J-P