Hi Wolfgang,

I don't know what is happening, but I see that all of the cases you show
> run
> the tutorial programs in release mode. Can you run them in debug mode and
> see
> whether you can get a better error message this way?

I will try this later after I figure out this warning happening at the end
of configuring p4est (see the red warning messages), as this warning might
trigger the unknown error I face now in our machine.

checking for dgecon_... no
checking for dgecon_ in -llapack... yes
checking for LAPACK by linking w/ BLAS_FLIBS but w/o FLIBS... successful
checking for getopt... successful
checking for obstack... successful
checking for library containing pthread_create... none required
checking for POSIX threads... not used
checking for library containing omp_get_thread_num... -lgomp
checking for OpenMP... not used
checking size of void *... (cached) 8
checking for aligned_alloc... yes
checking for posix_memalign... yes
checking for memory alignment option... SC_SIZEOF_VOID_P
o----------------------------------
o----------------------------------
| F77:         mpif77
| FFLAGS:      -g -O2
| FC:          mpif90
| FCFLAGS:     -g -O2
| CPP:         mpicc -E
| CPPFLAGS:
| CC:          mpicc
| CFLAGS:      -g -O2
| CXX:         mpicxx
| CXXFLAGS:    -g -O2
| LDFLAGS:
| LIBS:        -lgomp -llapack -lblas -lz -lm
o----------------------------------
checking that generated files are newer than configure... done
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating Makefile.sc.pre
config.status: creating Doxyfile
config.status: creating src/pre_config.h
config.status: executing src/sc_config.h commands
config.status: creating src/sc_config.h - prefix SC for src/pre_config.h
defines
config.status: executing libtool commands
configure: - SC -------------------------------------------------
We did not find a recent lua containing the function lua_createtable.
This is OK if the following does not matter to you:
Including sc_lua.h in your code will abort the compilation.
You can fix this by compiling a working lua and pointing LIBS to it.

configure: - P4EST -------------------------------------------------
We did not find a recent lua containing the function lua_createtable.
This is OK if the following does not matter to you:
Including sc_lua.h in your code will abort the compilation.
You can fix this by compiling a working lua and pointing LIBS to it.

And when I do a google search about lua_creatable, I find this:

https://www.mail-archive.com/dealii@googlegroups.com/msg01914.html

Does it seem to me that the installation dealii requires the inclusion of
lua_creatable into the configuring of p4est first?

And do I have to ask our machine's system administrators to install the lua
before I install p4est, trilinos, dealii etc to ensure the successful
installation for running in parallel?

https://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/manual.html

Sincerely,

Chih-Che