On 9/11/19 3:27 AM, 'Maxi Miller' via deal.II User Group wrote:
> In one of my side projects I include the library deal.II, but use it
> only for reading in parameter files and printing out data in the HDF5
> format. I included it mostly because it is in use in most of my main
> projects, and thus it already was available. Furthermore, being able to
> reuse parameter files and the rather simple way of storing data were the
> main reasons for including the library in this project.
> Thus, I was now wondering if that usage is enough to support citing the
> library in publications, even though I never use the main features of it?

My general rule of thumb when I'm faced with similar dilemmas is "if I
use, I cite it". That's because someone still put it many weeks of work
to write the parameter handling and HDF5 capabilities (in your case; or
whatever else it is that I use), and it doesn't cost me very much to
cite some other paper. Indeed, my general approach (in this and any
other regard) is to be generous with praise.