Dear Prof Bangerth.

Thank you for your reply.

I had seen that github issue/pull-request, but didn't realise that
"saddle-point problems = (indefinite + symmetric)". These three words do
not appear in close-proximity to each other anywhere in the slides,
tutorials or video lectures. While I acknowledge the importance of
mathematical terminology, perhaps it would be quite useful to de-jargonise
this for the newcomers?

Now, my question becomes "how to test for definiteness and symmetric nature
of my DAEs?", i.e. simply by looking at the weak form of the equation which
consists of only symbolic notations, can one somehow infer the
definiteness/symmetry of the matrix?

Regards,
Krishna