While, I understand that deal.Ii (the library itself) is licensed under
LGPL 2.1 or above, this question is about reuse of tutorial programs in own
research.

I see that some later tutorial programs have dois on Zenodo and certain
open licences attached to them.  However, most of the earlier tutorials do
not have this.  All of them do have a copyright line containing the author
and years.

The following are my specific questions:

   1. Am I allowed to reuse one of the earlier tutorials as is and report
   the simulation results (my project needs some additional post processing of
   the FE solution field) in a journal publication? How would I attribute this?
   2. If I modify the tutorial code for my project, am I allowed to link my
   github repo to the publication? What really constitutes a modification of
   software code in general, and tutorial code in particular?
      - Have time-dependent boundary conditions
      - The generic variables of the tutorials will be renamed to the
      project-specific variables
   - instead of the typical CG iterations, since the problem size is small,
      replace it with direct solver
      - Finally the problem is run in 1D
      - Better refinement strategy if time permits

If I were to embark on such an exercise i.e. make available an open-source
code linked to a journal publication, What would be my

   - copyright and authorship rights?
   - licensing and attribution requirements?

Regards,
Krishna