Dear Victoria,

You’re on the right track, but it looks like you got the syntax a bit wrong. To
create a particle you need to write something like

Particles::Particle<dim> particle;

You’ll note that the specific constructor that is called is inferred from the
arguments given to the instance of the class that’s being created (in this
case, no arguments —> default constructor).

There is a new tutorial, namely step-70
<https://dealii.org/current/doxygen/deal.II/step_70.html>, that uses particles.
I don’t know whether or not it’s pitched at the right level for you to get to
grips with some of the fundamentals (at first glance, it seems to involve a
number of more advanced techniques). If it’s not quite tractable for you, then
you could also take a look at some of the particle tests
<https://github.com/dealii/dealii/tree/master/tests/particles> in the test
suite, such as this one
<https://github.com/dealii/dealii/blob/master/tests/particles/particle_01.cc>,
that might provide snippets of information that you need as you build up your
understanding of this particular feature of the library.

I hope that helps you a bit.
Best,
Jean-Paul