Hi Yuesu,

Essentially, yes. If you look at the code for partition_triangulation you
will find

// check for an easy return
if (n_partitions == 1)
  {
    for (const auto &cell : triangulation.active_cell_iterators())
      cell->set_subdomain_id(0);
    return;
  }

Hence step-17 only tries to use metis (and, if metis is not available,
aborts) if there are multiple partitions for the mesh.

Best,
David