Hi Malhar,

if you look at
https://github.com/dealii/dealii/blob/a56c8585863b774de9dce5f7dd5c334ef56f3a51/source/dofs/dof_tools_constraints.inst.in#L69

you can see that it is only instantiated for
DoFHandler<deal_II_dimension>
meaning only for dim=spacedim (the second argument is the default right now).

Instead, we would need to move the instantiation down into a loop that
has two loops over dim and instantiate it for all pairs like it is
done for
https://github.com/dealii/dealii/blob/a56c8585863b774de9dce5f7dd5c334ef56f3a51/source/dofs/dof_tools_constraints.inst.in#L123

Do you want to try if you can make this work? I am not sure if the
implementation will work correctly, but we can check that in a second
step.
If this works, we would appreciate a pull request from you to fix this!

Best,
Timo

--
Timo Heister