Hi all,

Does anyone here have any experience applying mean value constraints
(specifically with periodic boundary conditions)? I'm having some trouble.
As far as I can tell, there are two approaches (both of which I have been
able to get working). The first approach is to just add the mean value
constraint straight into the constraint matrix. I got this working just
fine and was able to get an output but the problem is that this condition
seems to make my matrices dense(?) or, at the very least, require a huge
amount of memory hindering this approach for the types of fine spatial
meshes I require for this application. The other approach is to just apply
periodic boundary conditions to the matrices, try to solve the system
anyway and, because UMFPACK is awesome, somehow manage to get a solution
out of all of this (which will of course only be defined up to a constant).
The problem here is that the solution I am getting is of order 10^12! When
I postprocess and subtract the mean value, what I get looks correct but I
am losing a lot of accuracy in the process but it does work for the fine
meshes that I require. Anyone have any ideas or do I just have to live with
the reduced accuracy here? Thanks!