Hi Lucas,

The documentation that describes how to configure CMake options for
external libraries is here:
https://dealii.org/developer/users/cmake_dealii.html#configureext . You
should just need to pass cmake the flag -DBOOST-DIR=<PATH_TO_BOOST> (with
the correct path added, of course. From your first post, I think that this
would just be /usr). To be safe, you probably want to delete the
CMakeCache.txt before reconfiguring. You should also take a look at this
section:
https://dealii.org/developer/users/cmake_dealii.html#buildinformation .
There you can see that when an external version of boost is detected and
can be used, this status should be reflected at the end of the
configuration process, e.g.

# Configured Features (DEAL_II_ALLOW_BUNDLED = ON,
DEAL_II_ALLOW_AUTODETECTION = ON):
# DEAL_II_WITH_BOOST set up with external dependencies
# [...]

If you pass the boost directory to CMake and then don't see a message like
that, then it doesn't necessarily mean that the boost path wasn't found --
it could also mean that this specific installation of boost was not found
to be usable (i.e. it didn't pass the checks that are executed during the
configuration process). To understand why that could be, you'd have to
provide us with the detailed.log file, along with two log files that CMake
generates, namely <BUILD_DIR>/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log and
<BUILD_DIR>/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log.

I hope that this helps you sort out this issue.

Best,
Jean-Paul