death penalty news

April 5, 2005

GLOBAL:

Death penalty figures: Your reaction

Nearly 4,000 people were executed worldwide in 2004 - the highest number in
nearly ten years, say Amnesty International.

The human rights group found that China carried out more executions than
all other countries combined - at least 3,400.

Iran came second, with at least 159, followed by Vietnam. The US were
fourth in the table with 59 executions in 2004.

The 3,797 executions in 2004 are said to be the second-largest annual total
in the last 25 years. Amnesty's UK director Kate Allen desribed the figures
as "alarming".

What is your reaction to the figures released by Amnesty International?
Send us your comments.

------

The following comments reflect the balance of opinion we have received so far:

I cannot understand why Americans can accept their nation continually
appearing alongside, and often higher up the list, than the so-called
"axis-of-evil" countries on human rights issues. So much for the land of
the free.
Iain Farquharson, UK

---

The death penalty should be outlawed. Our government has proven time and
time again that it is far too incompetent on relatively minor issues to be
given such authority.
Don Wildauer, Phoenixville, PA, USA

---

I'm an American that thinks the death penalty should be reserved for very
specific, patently obvious cases. Reasonable doubt isn't nearly enough.
However, I'm amazed that the few responses so far have been targeted at the
US. I'm not a math major but it looks like the newest member of the
"civilized" world (economy) is about 58 times more out of control. Where's
the outrage there?
Scott C., CA - now Newbury

---

These are horrendous figures, and are more appalling when one considers
that not all executions are reported. Killing someone because they have
killed is a futile waste of life. Gandhi said that if everyone took an eye
for an eye then we would all end up blind. Countries which use the death
penalty are morally bankrupt.
Mark, London

---

Already the US bashing commences, while people herald the coming of China
as a superpower. Of course, don't let the fact that China executes fifty
times as many people as the US stop you. At least in the US they had due
process. If you don't want to be executed, simply refrain from murdering
people while in my country.
Victor, USA

---

These numbers are hard to accept, however I am against the death penalty.
Such violent criminals should be sent to hard labor camps instead and live
out the rest of their lives in pain.
George, US

---

The death penalty solves nothing. It is not a deterrent to crime since no
one ever thinks of the penalty when committing a crime.
Larry Vance, Connecticut, USA

---

Why do I know that although the US only carry out 1.4% of the world's
executions they'll receive 99% of the criticism? This merely shows that
China can do what it wants, when it wants & no-one will even speak up
against them, much less try and change things.
Peter, Nottingham

---

Answer to Peter, Nottingham: China receives less criticism as compared to
the US, because China doesn't claim its model is "the best" and does not
try to force it onto the rest of the world.
Pavel, Bulgaria

---

This is a ridiculously high number. Especially in "civilized" North
America. If the death penalty is to remain, then its application should be
when the verdict is that the individual is guilty beyond ALL doubt, not
just beyond reasonable doubt. Too many innocent people have been executed
by the state.
A. Geue, Ottawa, Canada

---

To say these figures are truly shocking is an understatement. I cannot
understand how America, the land of the free, those who want to 'cultivate
a culture of life' can possibly defend their position on the death penalty.
Heledd, Cardiff, Wales

---

The more people we have to kill, the weaker we are.
George Waldman, Detroit, USA

---

Not enough! More hardened serial law breakers should accept the same fate,
instead of the tax payer funding them in hotel style prisons with top of
the range amenities. Britain should follow suit!
Jason, London

(source: BBC website)