death penalty news

April 12, 2005

SINGAPORE:

Sons bid to free father on death row

Two 14-year-old Singapore brothers have begun a rare campaign in the city
state to free their jailed father fromdeath row, where he faces execution
for trafficking about 1 kg of marijuana.

Twins Gopalan and Krishnan Murugesu, on the advice of their father's
lawyer, handed out about 500 flyers in a busy shopping districtseeking
support for a petition against the execution, saying their father's death
would make them orphans.

"My parents are divorced and my father has been looking after us. My mother
remarried, lives somewhere else and doesn't see usanymore. If he is
hanged...we will become orphans," 14-year-old Krishnan Murugesu was quoted
by local Today newspaper as saying onTuesday.

The twins, under care of their unemployed grandmother since their father
was arrested in August 2003, rely on handouts from a welfareagency for
daily expenses, said his lawyer, M. Ravi.

Shanmugam Murugesu, 38, arrested at the Malaysian border, lost an appeal
against a conviction of trafficking about a kg (2.2 lb) ofcannabis. His
lawyer is seeking clemency from Singapore President S.R. Nathan.

Singapore enforces some of the world's toughest drug laws. Anyone aged 18
or over convicted of carrying more than 500 grammes ofcannabis faces
mandatory execution by hanging.

In its 2004 report, rights group Amnesty International said about 400
people have been hanged in Singapore since 1991, mostly for
drugtrafficking, giving the wealthy city-state of 4.2 million people
possibly the highest execution rate in the world relative to its population.

Amnesty said only 6 people sentenced to death in Singapore has been spared
execution.

Singapore has staunchly defended its use of the death penalty and
maintained that capital punishment has deterred major drug syndicatesfrom
establishing themselves in Singapore.

(source: Reuters)