NOTE----my next postings will resume on Jan. 15

TEXAS:

Cost of justice is a factor in the death penalty

According to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, the 1st scheduled execution of 2013 in the state of Texas will occur Jan. 29, when Kimberly McCarthy will receive the ultimate form of punishment for robbing and stabbing to death a 70-year-old woman in Dallas County. Following the murder, McCarthy also used the deceased victim's credit cards and vehicle.

The Death Penalty Information Center released a report Dec. 18, indicating that capital punishment in 2012 - as far as new death sentences - was down to its second-lowest total since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976.

In 2012, there were 43 executions nationwide - 15 in Texas.

On a related note, the Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty - hey, at least the organization states its agenda in its name - described the state of Texas as being "haphazard" in how it implements capital punishment, specifically among individual counties.

Considering the cost of capital punishment (see lawyer fees) is an ever-escalating factor in the decision whether to seek the death penalty, a perceived discrepancy in how counties institute the ultimate form of punishment shouldn't come as a surprise.

Unfortunately, it seems the pursuit of justice is more and more coming down to dollars and cents - that is just the reality of the situation, which the TCADP mentions.

There are 4 convicted offenders on death row from the Amarillo metro area (Potter and Randall counties). 3 have been on death row since 1999 and another since 1991.

The TCADP also mentions capital punishment may be on the decline because "of a growing sense that the system is unfair and makes mistakes."

Considering how DNA testing has changed the justice system - when available, DNA testing can confirm innocence or guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, in most cases - the possibility of making "mistakes" when it comes to DNA testing should no longer be a major consideration.

The state of Texas executed 15 offenders in 2012 - 4 were white, 4 were Hispanic and 7 were black. Since 1982, 46 % of executed offenders in Texas were white, 37 % were black and 17 % were Hispanic.

Justice should not come down to cost, but there can be no denying that counties have no other choice but to make the price of justice a major consideration when it comes to the death penalty.

(source: Editorial, Amarillo Globe-News)

INDIANA:

Shooting shows it's time for review of death penalty laws

So much debate is going on because of the recent shootings. One thing that needs discussed is better enforcing of our laws. This latest shooting of the firefighters sickens me. The man who killed them should have been dead long ago by being sent to the death chamber for the killing of his own grandmother.

One of the biggest problems in our society is that our citizens think - and rightfully so at times - that there are no consequences for wrongdoing.

Or, if there are, they know it won't be that bad. They can just stick it out, and they will be out of jail and back to what they did before. It's time to review our death penalty laws.

Becky Damron, Chesterton

(source: Letter to the Editor, Northwest Indiana Times)

CALIFORNIA:

A case for the death penalty

Gun violence became the main headline, of course, in the unfortunate shootings of the firemen in Webster, N.Y., by William Spangler. Lost in small print was the fact that Spangler had previously beaten his own grandmother to death with a hammer. My guess is that if hammers had been illegal, Spangler would have killed this poor lady in another manner. (As a youth, I was awfully miffed at my grandmother for making me watch "The Lawrence Welk Show" weekly, however, I somehow refrained from doing her harm.)

One thing I know for sure is that had he been executed for that crime, Spangler's sister and 2 firemen with families would be alive today. It's ridiculous to think that jail time and psychologists could change a monster such as this, who later professed his love of killing in writing.

In my mind, the ACLU, bleeding hearts and parole boards have as much blood on their hands in these cases as the perpetrators. People who care more for freeing death row inmates at the expense of future murder victims are the sick ones.

Steve Ledbetter ---- Bakersfield

(source: Letter to the Editor, The Bakersfield California)

USA:

Death penalty is a tool for tyrants

Your recent article with state Rep. Claire Levy questioning the death penalty addresses a difficult issue, especially in light of recent horrendous mass murders.

She notes how death penalty prosecutions are so expensive that they undermine our ability to adequately fund other criminal cases. However, this misses many bigger problems.

First is the often ignored principle that violence (state executions) begets more violence. Another is one we rarely dare mention. Simply put, I do not trust government bureaucrats to decide who shall be put to death. Though not worried for myself, I am concerned for those most effective in speaking truth to power and corruption. Our democracy depends on encouraging and not intimidating the outspoken, perceptive courageous few, not unlike our Founding Fathers. They were equivalent to "terrorists" for the ruling British aristocracy.

Many governments use the death penalty on their most hated political adversaries. The death penalty is the tool of tyrants. Our country already employs solitary confinement as a form of torture that is effective in silencing the offender. Such treatment of Private First Class Bradley Manning is an example, (even if you disagree with his whistle-blowing). The most effective, permanent means to silence political enemies is the death penalty. Is it not possible some associated with our government could be so desperate?

The 2012 Defense Authorization Act in its ambiguity could enable indefinite detention of anyone considered a threat, even U.S. citizens not involved with armed conflicts. Will more political enemies as supposed terrorists be targeted for elimination, like an expedited administrative death penalty? Abolishing our state death penalty would be a symbolic yet significant first step in protecting our remaining constitutional rights and reducing our potential for unexpected tyranny.

JOHN C. BOLLINGER----Lafayette

(source: Letter to the Editor, (Boulder, Colo.) Daily Camera)