Jan. 4

TEXAS----new execution date

Rickey Lewis has been given an execution date for April 9; it should be considered serious.

*********************************

Executions under Rick Perry, 2001-present-----253

Executions in Texas: Dec. 7, 1982-present----492

Perry #--------scheduled execution date-----name---------Tx. #

254-------------January 29----------------Kimberly McCarthy---493

255-------------February 20---------------Britt Ripkowski-------494

256-------------February 21---------------Carl Blue-------------495

257-------------February 27---------------Larry Swearingen----496

258-------------March 21------------------Michael Gonzalez----497

259-------------April 9-------------------Rickey Lewis-----------498

260-------------April 10-------------------Ribogerto Avila, Jr.---499

261-------------April 16------------------Ronnie Threadgill------500

262-------------April 24------------------Elroy Chester----------501

263-------------July 31-------------------Douglas Feldman------502

(sources: TDCJ & Rick Halperin)

TENNESSEE:

Tennessee searches for new death penalty drug

20 years of U.S. executions

There were 43 executions in the U.S. in 2012, the same as in 2011. The number of executed prisoners has been on the decline since it peaked in 1999. No Tennessee prisoners have been executed since 2009.

Executions nationwide by year

2012: 43

2011: 43

2010: 46

2009: 52

2008: 37

2007: 42

2006: 53

2005: 60

2004: 59

2003: 65

2002: 71

2001: 66

2000: 85

1999: 98

1998: 68

1997: 74

1996: 45

1995: 56

1994: 31

1993: 38

1992: 31

[source: Death Penalty Information Center, Tennessee Department of Correction]

No death row inmates are scheduled to die in Tennessee anytime soon.

The state's entire stock of a key lethal injection drug has been confiscated by the federal government amid questions about whether it was legally obtained and the state hasn't yet figured out how - or when - it plans to execute inmates in the future.

But Tennessee Department of Correction Commissioner Derrick Schofield said the state's lethal injection protocol is a top priority and he is pursuing alternative drugs. He declined to detail exactly what options he was considering, but other states have turned to an alternative drug used in animal euthanasia.

"I've been a little cautious talking about this because some of it turns into litigation," Schofield said in a recent interview. "I don't have a time frame, but it's a matter of urgency for us. We have been pushing and working. I want to assure that we haven't been sitting on our hands."

84 people sit on Tennessee's death row, 67 have been there for more than 10 years. For death penalty opponents, the sudden shortage in 2011 of the anesthetic sodium thiopental has been a godsend.

5 states in recent years decided it was easier and cheaper to do away with their death penalties than to keep them. And, according to the Death Penalty Information Center, the nation tied 2011 for having the second-fewest number of new death penalty convictions since 1976.

"We're very relieved," said the Rev. Stacy Rector, with Tennesseans for Alternatives to the Death Penalty. "Unfortunately for us, until we get the (death penalty) statute repealed, it's always going to be a concern."

But death penalty advocates say the drug shortage and Tennessee's delay in finding an alternative drug, like pentobarbital which has been used in states like Ohio, is preventing justice from being carried out.

"That's something that the people of Tennessee need to bring to the governor's attention," said Michael Rushford, president of CEO of the Criminal Justice Legal Foundation which helps litigate in support of the death penalty. "This isn't the legal system failing, it's politics. It's really kind of a slap in the face to state voters and to the victims who wait for justice, when a politician can stop the entire process."

The Tennessee Attorney General's Office, which requests execution dates, said it is also waiting for orders to proceed.

"We will file the appropriate motions to set executions as soon as the executive branch indicates its readiness to proceed with executions," said spokeswoman Sharon Curtis-Flair.

Gov. Bill Haslam's office said the department of correction is continuing to explore options.

Both sides frustrated

As of today, Tennessee's death penalty protocol is the same as it was when the state legislature made lethal injection the only way to execute inmates in 1998. The condemned are strapped to a gurney and then injected with 3 separate chemicals.

They start with the sodium thiopental, which puts the inmate to sleep. Then, they inject pancuronium bromide, which stops the inmate's breathing. Finally, they administer potassium chloride, which stops the inmate's heart.

The 1st drug has been key to staving off challenges that lethal injection is "cruel and unusual punishment", in that it is supposed to render the entire process painless. In late 2010, however, the sole supplier of sodium thiopental stopped supplying the drug, leading to shortages across the nation. Attempts to obtain the drug overseas by states like Tennessee led to a federal lawsuit and the seizure of those drugs.

In the meantime, rather than fight to maintain the old methods, some states have turned to pentobarbital, which is commonly used to euthanize animals.

When asked if Tennessee was considering such a switch, Schofield would not say.

"There are a couple that we're looking at, I'd just prefer not to say which one," he said. "Whatever drug we choose, it has to have the backing and the knowledge that it will work and meet the requirements of the court."

In November 2010, Stephen Michael West was ready to die. A last-second appeal to the Tennessee Supreme Court stopped his execution 30 hours before he was to be put to death.

West, who was convicted in 1986 in the murder of Wanda Romines and her 15-year-old daughter, Sheila, in Union County, illustrates the criticisms - on both sides - of the death penalty debate. He was 1st scheduled for execution in 2001, but it was stayed. He was scheduled for early November 2010, but it was delayed until late November, which was then again indefinitely delayed.

"I don't know how you find a system any more wasteful than the death penalty system," said Rector, with Tennesseans for Alternatives to the Death Penalty. "We don't know how much we're spending on a system that's executed 6 people since 1960."

But those delays are equally frustrating for people like Eddie Campbell, of Andersonville. His uncle, Jack Romines, was married to Wanda Romines when West murdered her. Jack Romines died 4 years ago.

"The family's dying off. He never got to see any justice for his family. That's just terrible," Campbell said. "It's a real slap in the face."

Campbell said he's been waiting for answers for years as to why his family hasn't seen justice yet.

"Somebody should be able to give me a reason for that, I don't know why they're not," he said. "They need to step up to the plate and do their job or stand aside and let somebody else."

(source: The Tennessean)

************************

Attorneys: Death row inmate is mentally disabled

Attorneys for a Tennessee death row inmate are asking a federal judge to spare him from facing the death penalty because he is mentally disabled.

Byron Lewis Black was convicted in 1989 of killing his girlfriend, Angela Clay, and her 2 young daughters, Latoya and Lakeisha, in Nashville.

He was given life sentences for the murders of Angela and Latoya Clay, but was sentenced to death for the murder of Lakeisha Clay.

Black's attorneys have claimed that he is intellectually disabled and that they have struggled to communicate with him during his trial and appeals. But prosecutors point to his scores on IQ tests he took before he turned 18. He did not score less than 70 on the tests, which are considered a factor in determining whether a person has limited mental abilities.

But in 2011, the U.S. Court of Criminal Appeals for the 6th Circuit ruled in a 2-1 decision to remand the case back to federal court in Nashville.

The judges said a state appeals court did not adequately consider Black's claims based in part on a recent Tennessee Supreme Court opinion.

U.S. District Court Judge Todd Campbell is scheduled to hear oral arguments in the case on Thursday afternoon.

The Tennessee Supreme Court ruled in 2011 in another death row penalty case that Tennessee law does not require that raw scores on IQ tests be accepted at their face value. The ruling also said that the courts may consider competent expert testimony showing that a test score does not accurately reflect a person's functional IQ or that the raw IQ score is artificially inflated or deflated.

Black's attorneys argued in court briefs that the judge should also consider testimony from experts who have evaluated Black and say that he is mentally disabled and that he also suffers from brain damage and mental illness, which affect his ability to understand what is going on around him and participate in his case.

Attorneys for the Tennessee Attorney General's office said in court briefs that state law requires intellectual disability must be shown early in the defendant's life, typically before age 18. They argued that the experts have not proven Black was mentally disabled as a child.

No execution date has been set for Black.

(source: Associated Press)

SOUTH DAKOTA:

Death sentence overturned in prison guard killing

The South Dakota Supreme Court has overturned a state prison inmate's death sentence for the killing of a prison guard nearly 2 years ago.

In an opinion released Thursday, the justices said Rodney Berget, 50, must get a new sentencing hearing because the circuit judge who sentenced him to die improperly considered a statement Berget made to a psychiatrist.

The high court said it could not conclude that the use of the statement, in which Berget said he deserves the death penalty for taking Ronald "R.J." Johnson's life and destroying a family, was harmless beyond a reasonable doubt.

Lynette Johnson, the correctional officer's widow, told KSFY television that she is "devastated" by the ruling and feels that the original case was properly presented.

Berget's lawyer, Jeff Larson, did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

The high court had weighed 12 issues raised by Larson and ruled in the state's favor in 11 of them, including determining that Berget knowingly and intelligently waived his right to be sentenced by a jury. But it ruled in Berget's favor on the use of the psychiatrist's statement and sent the case back to the trial court for a new sentencing hearing.

Despite that, state Attorney General Marty Jackley said in a statement that the court's ruling affirms the "appropriateness of a death sentence for Berget's crime."

The state presented substantial evidence demonstrating the heinousness of the crime and Berget's extensive criminal history, little chance of rehabilitation and multiple escape attempts, Jackley said.

"I am pleased that the Supreme Court has affirmed the overwhelming majority of the evidence was appropriately considered," Jackley said. "The single remaining issue surrounding psychological evaluation may be conducted on the existing record without causing excessive delay."

Berget and another inmate, Eric Robert, attacked Johnson on April 12, 2011 - the prison guard's 63rd birthday - and beat him to death. Robert then donned Johnson's uniform and tried to push Berget, hidden inside a box, outside the gate of the South Dakota State Penitentiary in Sioux Falls.

Both men pleaded guilty and were sentenced to death. Robert was executed in October. A third inmate, Michael Nordman, was given a life sentence for providing materials used in the slaying.

The high court said Circuit Judge Bradley Zell, of Sioux Falls, should not have considered a statement Berget made to Dr. David Bean during a competency evaluation because it violated Berget's right to be free from self-incrimination.

"They'll never see their father again or husband," Berget said in the statement. "He will never walk through that door again. I made sure of that by my actions. I'm not going to beg the Court or ask the Court to spare my life. I believe I deserve the death penalty for what I've done."

By a 4-1 margin, the high court sent the case back to circuit court for resentencing without the use of or consideration of the doctor's report, unless Berget opts to call Bean to testify.

Chief Justice David Gilbertson said in the court's opinion that the existence of the report had been disclosed to the state and the circuit court with the understanding that it would be kept under seal unless Bean was called by Berget as a witness.

Retired Justice Robert Miller, who subbed in for Justice Lori Wilbur on the case, was the lone dissenter. Miller said he believes Berget's sentence would have been death even if the court had not considered Berget's statement.

(source: Associated Press)

COLORADO:

Death penalty: Representative Claire Levy says she is confident a repeal could pass

Before Representative Claire Levy proposes legislation to repeal the death penalty in Colorado, she wants to be sure that it can pass.

And after more discussions with her fellow lawmakers on the topic, she says it seems like the momentum is right to get rid of the death penalty -- even if one of her Democratic colleagues is adamantly opposed to the move.

"I can't say with certainty...but I'm getting more confident," Levy says. "Those of us who are sponsoring it want to be sure we are going to be able to pass it before we introduce it. We are getting in confident in that."

At a pre-legislative forum in December, reporters asked the leaders of the Colorado General Assembly whether it was likely that a proposal to repeal the death penalty would be considered this year. At the time, Democrats said it was a possibility and John Morse, the new president of the Senate, revealed that he would likely support a repeal, which he has opposed in the past.

And though the new legislative session hasn't yet begun, the possibility of a death penalty repeal has since gotten more attention, most recently with reports that Levy, a Democrat who represents Boulder, is exploring the potential for a bill.

Representative Rhonda Fields, an Aurora Democrat, told us last week that she has been and will remain strongly opposed to any efforts to get rid of the death penalty, calling the proposal "an insult to crime victims." For Fields, it is very personal: 2 of the 3 inmates on death row in Colorado were responsible for the death of her son in 2005.

"There's nothing that can undo what happened to her son," Levy says of Fields's concerns. "I'm a mother. I think I have some inkling of how painful it would be to lose your son to violence, but I think it's my obligation as a state representative to have our laws reflect what I believe are the current standards of decency and humanity in this country."

Levy points out that seventeen states currently do not have the death penalty, and says the time has come for Colorado to join the ranks.

"We have increasing concerns about the possibility of executing an innocent person," says Levy, adding, "The data is overwhelming that it is not applied in an objective, consistent and fair way.... It's applied inconsistently and arbitrarily."

Levy says her repeal proposal would mean that convicted criminals could be sentenced to life without the possibility of parole. "We want to be sure that it's very clear to the public and other legislators that [criminals]...could be sentenced to die in prison," she says, noting that no one on death row who was convicted and sentenced would have their sentence retroactively changed.

"At some point," she continues, "you have to ask the question, to what extent are we going to go to execute people when we have an alternative, i.e. life in prison, that keeps the public safe? It prevents the person from ever walking free.... Why go to the extent we are going to execute someone?"

Supporters have pointed out that some of the worst criminals, such as Aurora theater shooting suspect James Holmes, are often exempt from the death penalty anyway, due to insanity determinations. And another argument in favor of abolishing the death penalty is that it is expensive to keep inmates on death row -- and that the money could be put to better use.

Levy is using all these arguments as she explores the possibility of pushing the proposal. "The time is right," she says.

(source: Westword)

CALIFORNIA:

Death penalty defendant pleads to killing teen

A California death penalty defendant has pleaded guilty to the beating and burning death of a 15-year-old Santa Maria girl.

The Tribune of San Luis Obispo (http://bit.ly/WnthQc) says Ty Michael Hill, whose trial was expected to start next month, entered a plea on Wednesday to 1st-degree murder. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.

The battered and partially burned body of Dystiny Myers was found by firefighters in Santa Margarita in September 2010.

Prosecutors say Rhonda Maye Wisto ordered the death of Myers because the teen had been disrespectful.

Wisto, her son Frank Jacob York and Cody Lane Miller face trial next month.

Another defendant, Jason Adam Greenwell, has agreed to a plea deal in exchange for his testimony.

Hill was the only defendant facing the death penalty.