Sept. 24

BARBADOS:

A GUY'S VIEW----Do not insult our intelligence

This newspaper's edition of September 20, 2017, reported that the National Human Rights Officer for Barbados and the Organisation of East Caribbean States posited that there is a need for research into the death penalty and how the general public views this punishment in Barbados.

That report was evidence of a perfect example of an international body seeking to hoodwink an entire population with senselessness. The only good thing, I hope, is that tax payers' money is not going towards any portion of their useless work.

As they may have done elsewhere, they could focus their investigation on a particular interest group, like defence attorneys, and then extrapolate from that finding to the rest of the country. But it is in poor taste for any person to sit in front of a Barbadian audience and say that they intend to investigate what or how Barbadians feel about the death penalty.

One of the things that may cause the outstanding work of the Attorney General of this country to be diminished in the eyes of many Barbadians is the perception that he has something to do with this country's refusal to execute murderers. Although it may be common knowledge in informed circles, it is apparently not so well known by the lady on the Bathsheba bus that while the death penalty remains on our books, for practical reasons, we cannot execute anyone.

If my memory serves me well, I believe that the Attorney General has let slip that no one will hang during his tenure. He was not necessarily suggesting that he is against the death penalty, although he might be, but was merely stating a fact. No one will hang during his tenure, or that of his successors for a long time to come.

An unfortunate reference was made to the June 5, 1999 hanging of the Dole Chadee gang in Trinidad as evidence that the death penalty has not prevented violence in that country. It is indeed fruitless to take a one-off action and expect that it would forever influence behaviour in any significant way. That event is the high water mark of how not to use the death penalty.

Effective use of the death penalty cannot be a knee jerk reaction to a particular crime. Dole Chadee and his gang took out a family because of a botched drug event. That killing outraged persons, not only in Trinidad, but across the Caribbean. I am old enough to remember the atmosphere at that time.

An extract from the Los Angeles Times painted the societal picture in Trinidad then: "Marking the moment with prayer and protest, the church bell at the capital's Roman Catholic Cathedral tolled 9 times at 8 a.m. - a reminder, Archbishop Anthony Pantin said, that 'enough blood has been spilled.'"

But with hourly news bulletins, street-corner banter and banner headlines announcing, "Hanging Time," many in this crime-weary nation of 1.3 million heaved a sigh of relief that justice was done."

In "democratic" countries, different interests compete for prominence. Unfortunately, in the Caribbean, as elsewhere, the wishes of the majority are only acknowledged when they are shared with the views of the powerful. What the majority of Trinidadians felt then, or feel now, really does not matter. The power bases in the society said no more, and there have been no more.

In a great display of puff, Trinidad withdrew from the jurisdiction of Inter-American Court on Human Rights because that organisation stood firmly against the death penalty and did everything to obstruct that punishment.

On May 26, 1998, the government of Trinidad and Tobago notified the Secretary General of the Organisation of American States that it was withdrawing its ratification of the American Convention on Human Rights. That withdrawal became effective 1 year later. There has since been a lot of talk about executions, but none has followed.

With the full knowledge of the intention and tactics of the said Inter-American Court, Barbados has chosen to remain loyal to that organisation. If there were any doubt about this country's willingness to carry out the death penalty, there should now be none.

Our history is one of always being told what to do. When we were slave societies, our people had no say in what was done in their country or even done to them personally. When we graduated to "free" colonial status, we still had no say in what would be done in our country. At the level of decision making, we could or could not agree with any decision, it made no difference. Now, as independent Caribbean states, the wishes of the majority of our people is of no moment on the issue of the death penalty.

It is commonly believed that our last executions in Barbados were dictated by the status of the victim who suffered at the hands of her killers. That could never be an appropriate use of that punishment. If an act is unlawful, it should attract the same punishment, regardless of who suffered by it. Would it take a similar circumstance to trigger the use of this punishment again? Such use would be wrong, and in any event, a single act of state revenge would not change the national situation. For any penalty to be effective, it must be applied in a fair and transparent manner on a sustained basis. It cannot be used as shock therapy.

The plan is for there never to be another state execution in Barbados, but perhaps one day the people will stand up and insist that their voice be heard. If that ever happens, before they are completely brainwashed, hanging will recommence. But there should be no holding of breath. There would literally have to be a revolution in Barbados for hanging to resume.

The United Nations need not investigate anything in Barbados about this penalty. They have already done enough to ensure that it will not be carried out again here. Barbados no longer has the sovereignty to make such a decision and they know it.

(source: Editorial, Barbados Advocate)

BANGLADESH:

Death-row convict Juba League leader back in politics

Orders to hang Juba League leader Aslam Fakir, convicted for murder, were suspended at the last moment due to his 'unnatural' behaviour.

However, there is nothing 'unnatural' in his behaviour following his release from prison. On the contrary, he is busy with his political campaigning.

Aslam Fakir has been seen with the Faridpur-4 member of parliament member and ruling Awami League (AL) presidium member Kazi Zafarullah and his wife Nilufer Zafarullah, also an MP, at different programmes in the area after his release.

The 2 MPs are said to have backed Aslam's release from prison. Aslam also has ambitions to become a local representative and an AL leader.

Asked over phone about how he got sick just before being hanged, Aslam said, "I was not sick, I just got scared as the conviction was fixed. The next day I saw the conviction was cancelled."

When asked who helped him to get clemency, Aslam replied, "Who else? Leader Zafarullah and his wife MP Nilofer Zafarullah. They showed what they can do."

Faridpur's Bhanga upazila Juba League leader Aslam Fakir was accused on 25 September 2005 of murdering Manikdaha union chairman Shaheb Ali alias Shaheb Miah.

District and sessions court sentenced him to death in the murder case. The verdict was also upheld by the High Court.

Kashimpur central prison sources said, Aslam Fakir appealed for a presidential clemency on 19 May 2013, which was rejected on 13 October 2014 and he was to be hanged on 13 November 2014.

However, the death penalty was suspended on 12 November, just at the last moment due to Aslam's 'unnatural' behaviour.

Plea for a presidential clemency, for the 2nd time, was also filed on the same day.

Later on 26 February 2015, the conviction was reduced to a 14-year imprisonment sentence.

This too was revoked as Nilofer Zafarullah MP issued as recommendation letter to the home ministry to release Aslam on 26 March for "good behaviour".

Aslam was released from jail on 25 August, after 13 years and 2 days of imprisonment.

Aslam returned to his home, Manikdaha village, 3 days later on 28 August. "And the leader is very punctual", he said.

Later the reporter had a talk with Aslam over phone. Aslam said he was perfectly fine now. He had checkups in different hospitals, and they said he has no problems now. He is now busy with campaign work.

Kazi Zafarullah said the matter is political and refrained from further comment.

Home minister Asaduzzaman said, "He was a mental patient. That is why he is pardoned. This is not right if he is roaming around and campaigning. This is not right."

Shaheb Miah's wife Paruli Begum, who was a plaintiff in the case, told Prothom Alo, "Such injustice in intolerable. After being sentenced to death, Aslam Fakir's pleas for mercy had been rejected. Even so, the orders were withdrawn just before he was due to hang. Influential people are now celebrating with my husband's murderer and campaigning in the area."

Lawyer Shahdeen Malik has said, "The incident indicates that we are facing a sick situation. There is no specific policy to decide who will be pardoned and who will not. Other countries have a clear policy. Lack of policy is helping the misuse of power".

(source: prothom-alo.com)