Hi,

I just arrived in Banja Luka a little while ago, after beta testing
the connections from Zagreb airport.  I of course wanted to make sure
that this was a fair test, so:

- It was arranged that the plane escaped from London Heathrow an hour
late after a long wait for a take-off slot following boarding,
reducing my two hour connection time in Zagreb to one hour.

- To make sure that I was tired out, I spent the flight reading a
novel in Spanish while the child next to me distracted me by singing
and trying to draw on my arm, and the baby two seats over cried
loudly.

On arrival at Zagreb, I as usual chose an appropriate standing
location on the bus from plane to terminal so that I was towards the
front of the queue for passport control, and was then lucky that my
bag was one of the first onto the conveyor belt.  These bits might
seem like cheating, but, sorry, I did want to try to catch the first
bus to Banja Luka.

Reverting to non-cheating mode (and since I had some, but not much,
Croatian money with me) I left the airport terminal and put my luggage
in the bus directly outside and got on it, around 21.15, after being
assured by the driver that yes it was going to the bus station and it
would leave in "five minutes", instead of looking for a taxi to the
bus station.  After a while the driver came through the bus selling
tickets (30 Kn each).  I noticed that one couple didn't have local
currency, and the driver appeared to accept €10 for the two of them
instead.

The bus left between 21.25 and 21.30 after it was almost full, and
took 20-25 minutes to reach its terminus at the bus station, arriving
about 21.50.  It stopped a couple of times on the way, but these were
fairly obviously just brief roadside halts.  The bus stopped in an
overspill car park outside the main bus station area, and the obvious
pedestrian entrance/exit from this area was closed (perhaps just
because it was the evening), so I left via the way we'd come in,
crossing over to the main bus station.  After checking the way with
someone waiting for a bus, I then went upstairs (just taking any of
the stairs going up from the bus 'platforms') and followed the "exit"
signs along to the ticket desks.  There was some complicated signage
above these, but the guy at the first desk I tried was happy to sell
me a ticket for the 22.00 bus to Banja Luka (108 Kn, as the wiki had
said).   He pointed out to me the platform number (marked "PERON" on
the ticket).

After going back along and down the stairs to the right place, I found
the bus waiting, and put my bag in the hold.  This time there was a 12
Kn fee for checking a bag, in return for which I got a receipt
matching a tag put on the bag.  (This is fairly standard on Balkan
buses, but doesn't apply to the bus from the airport to the bus
station.)  The main ticket had something that may have been a seat
number, but if it was then people were ignoring them to spread out --
the bus was about half full.

We arrived at the Croatian border about 23.40, and left the Bosnian
border about 00.20.  At the Croatian border we all had to get off the
bus, show our passports, then get back on one by one, while at the
Bosnian border someone collected all the passports from us on the bus,
and took them off to stamp, then someone from the bus company gave
them back to us after we had started driving again.

At about 00.40 we stopped at a cafe for people to smoke/use the
toilets/stretch their legs, departing again about 1.05.

We arrived at the Banja Luka bus station at about 1.35.  Some time
before this we'd passed a big sign for the city and a second sign with
a long list of twinned towns; the bus station itself was mostly just
an open-air car park, but they announced "Banja Luka" over the bus
speakers as we drove in, and it was the first major stop of the
journey.  (A few people had got off immediately after the border
earlier.)

At this time of night it wasn't completely obvious which way to go
from the bus, but while I was looking around, a taxi driver spotted me
and offered his services.  By the end of the ride to Hotel Bosna the
meter was at about 8 KM.  As I didn't have the right money for this, I
told him to wait -- he didn't speak English, but mentioning 'bank' and
leaving my bags in the car gave the right message -- and popped into
the hotel lobby to use the ATM there.  (If I hadn't known there was an
ATM in the Hotel Bosna lobby, I'd have asked him to stop at a bank on
the way, given that I hadn't waited around to look for a possible ATM
around the bus terminal.)

After paying the taxi-driver and collecting my bag, giving my passport
(along with a greeting) was sufficient for the guy on the hotel
check-in desk to find me on a list of DebConf people and give me a
room key.  I'm just writing this note from the hotel wireless while I
remember details, and look forward to meeting up with everyone here in
the morning. :)

--
Moray