Hi!

Am 20.07.2011 09:12, schrieb Daniel Kahn Gillmor:

>> People are denied travel sponsorship every year.  This year, it
>> included a very active Debian community member, Clint Adams.  I am
>> further disappointed in this decision as Clint was key to DebConf10.
>> I don't think Clint should be left out like this.
> I share your disappointment.  Clint is a dedicated and long-standing
> member of the community and an active contributor to the project.  He
> deserves travel sponsorship more than many of us who were granted it
> (myself included).

Having been a member of this years travel sponsorship committee, I'd
like to comment on this.

The sponsorship team always faces the problem, that we only have a
limited amount of money. So some people have always and will always get
no sponsorship.  And the only way to minimize disappointment and
frustration is to try your best to be fair, which in this case means to
stick to some principles and treat everyone equal.

We all know that Clint is quite active, and it wasn't an easy decision
for us, too.  In the sponsorship form we don't ask for much information,
but Clint didn't provided even the minimum of information needed to make
the decision. Having handled him special because of the work he has done
in the past, would have been unfair to all those, who took their time
and provided the informations we asked for.  Handled him special would
also cause even more frustration, because if we just throw away the
principles we set, it is just unfair treatment, favoritism, etc. or in
other words:  All the stuff we try to prevent by having a large travel
sponsorship committee, trying to follow some rules to a fair decissions
for everyone.

So with all due respect for the work Clint has done, I think the
committee did the right thing.

>> So my question: Will DebConf authorize this transaction?
> I don't think i have any authority to answer this question either way,

Neither can I, but that's a question independent of Clint being
"excluded on a technicality" or to be more precise:  Him being rated down.

Best regards,
  Alexander