On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:05:29AM +0200, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am 20.07.2011 09:12, schrieb Daniel Kahn Gillmor:
>
> >> People are denied travel sponsorship every year.  This year, it
> >> included a very active Debian community member, Clint Adams.  I am
> >> further disappointed in this decision as Clint was key to DebConf10.
> >> I don't think Clint should be left out like this.
> > I share your disappointment.  Clint is a dedicated and long-standing
> > member of the community and an active contributor to the project.  He
> > deserves travel sponsorship more than many of us who were granted it
> > (myself included).
>
> Having been a member of this years travel sponsorship committee, I'd
> like to comment on this.
>
> The sponsorship team always faces the problem, that we only have a
> limited amount of money. So some people have always and will always get
> no sponsorship.  And the only way to minimize disappointment and
> frustration is to try your best to be fair, which in this case means to
> stick to some principles and treat everyone equal.
>
> We all know that Clint is quite active, and it wasn't an easy decision
> for us, too.  In the sponsorship form we don't ask for much information,
> but Clint didn't provided even the minimum of information needed to make
> the decision. Having handled him special because of the work he has done
> in the past, would have been unfair to all those, who took their time
> and provided the informations we asked for.  Handled him special would
> also cause even more frustration, because if we just throw away the
> principles we set, it is just unfair treatment, favoritism, etc. or in
> other words:  All the stuff we try to prevent by having a large travel
> sponsorship committee, trying to follow some rules to a fair decissions
> for everyone.
>
> So with all due respect for the work Clint has done, I think the
> committee did the right thing.
>

> >> So my question: Will DebConf authorize this transaction?
> > I don't think i have any authority to answer this question either way,
>
> Neither can I, but that's a question independent of Clint being
> "excluded on a technicality" or to be more precise:  Him being rated down.

Yes, this is a hard decision for sponsorship team and given the situation (=
DIVA issues) it becomes even harder to make exceptions this year. So I think
darst came up with a very nice solution by proposing that people who knows him
(his work) give some contribution (and not Debian directly), friendly
respecting team's decision.

Regards,