Thanks for the tips, y'all. I got Debian installed, which was a joy to do.
I used the net installer for the 64-bit version. I installed in VmWare, and
it all went pretty good until I restarted. After the beep, I pressed s, but
then, using an OCR addon for NVDA, I learned that the log in screen had
come up, there was no speech. I got into a console, no speech there either,
made sure the volume was up by piping output of commands to eSpeak, and
made sure Orca was installed as well. Any ideas?

Devin Pratersent from Gmail.