On 3/3/23 11:52, Frank Carmickle wrote:
You've got me wondering if I should look at emacspeak on macos. I'd like to not
have to carry a second machine around to have a screen reader that works in a
terminal, which Voiceover just does so horribly at. Unfortunately, getting
anything running on these new arm64 macs is difficult.

Any ideas for me?

I think Emacspeak can run speech servers remotely, so you might be able to run the server side over ssh on the host machine. I've never tried and I don't know how to configure it. There is a Mac OS speech server, though.

At some point, the Asahi Linux project will probably let you run Linux directly on the Apple hardware:
https://asahilinux.org/

That's fine as long as you don't need to switch operating systems too often. I also have one of those Apple machines, but I don't have a temptation to run virtualized operating systems on it, so I haven't been in your situation.