Well it is information that if someone sent it out, would have been kept for my later use, so any information might help someone else later.
Glenn
----- Original Message ----- From: "john doe" <johndoe65...@mail.com>
To: <debian-accessibility@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2023 1:15 PM
Subject: Re: removing desktop

On 5/27/23 17:44, K0LNY wrote:
Hi All,
Well last night was an exercise in futility.
I successfully copied my 32 GB SD card to another, and it booted just like the original.
So then I did the research and used systemctl to disable the GUI boot.
Then I had to remove the desktops, it showed two mates and one Gnome, the flashback metacity version. Using apt remove --purge, I got rid of the Gnome, but not the mate completely. After exhaustive researching, I did the apt remove --purge with mate-* and that finally got rid of it.

I thought tasksel was there for this purpose. :)

All this is so I can install OMV on it.

I would start from scratch! ;^)

But after all that, rebooting, doing apt clean and searching for any remainder of a desktop, OMV says there is still a desktop installed.
My apt remove actions even removed the /usr/share/xsessions folder.

How is OMV ensuring that a DE is installed?

So now I'm going to mark that up as a learning session and I'm now working on installing Debian server on this i386 computer. I downloaded Debian 11.7 net install ISO, and now I'm trying to get speech so I can install it on the same SD card. I thought I'd let folks know since I did get some info on using DD when I started this.
I do not understand how this could benefit the list.

--
John Doe