On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 10:51:14AM +0100, nor wrote:
> The configuration should be
>
> boot = /dev/hda
> root = /dev/hda1
>
> Bios boots from /dev/hda not from /dev/hda1

If there is an MBR program installed that boots active partition, then
lilo can be on hda1.  I always did that back when I used lilo many many
years ago.  Also safer for dual boots since installing windows would
overwrite the MBR, but if you just had to change the active partition
back to the linux partition it was simple to require from microsoft dual
boot hostility.  With the boot loader in the MBR you needed to boot some
entirely other way to recover and reinstall the boot loader.

--
Len Sorensen