Hi Vagrant,

as for the XU4: I have no clue on the details, but odroid/hardkernel tells
us that integrating the usb2sata bridge with the board instead of an
external cable should get rid of a lot of problems. I have no idea what the
exact problems are with XU4 however. Also I suppose there could be several
different USB2Sata adapters that people try to use?

The Odroid HC1 has the two USB3 ports provided by the SoC wired to the
USB2SATA and network adapter, thus all remaining USB ports are only USB2 -
but both SATA and ethernet should be quite fast. At least that is what
marketing tells me and in the armbian forum there are some reports of
reasonable performance.

Some feedback on the u-boot-exynos package:

The README.exynos is confusing me. Upstream calls the file README.odroid -
not sure if it would be proper to edit that, or
to fork it into a debian specific README for the packaging in the debian/
direcory.

Here is the disconnect I noticed:
* 2 group of boards are mentioned in the README, but the lib/u-boot/ folder
in the package has three subdirectories.
* No mention of which subdirectory for which board. I suppose -xu3 for the
xu3/xu4/hc1 model. No idea what the arndale/ folder is about.
* The sd_fuse source for the xu4 should be different for xu4:
# Download u-boot source tree with patches and binary files from hardkernel
git clone https://github.com/hardkernel/u-boot -b odroidxu4-v2017.05

Not sure if the partitioning is in sync. Debian uses 1MB before the first
partition?
Some files for hardkernel used a smaller space, other new files use 1MB for
u-boot, thus need 2mb in total?
Above location seems to aim for 720k for u-boot, thus yet another sizing?

hardkernel (vendor) itself proposes different layouts for xu3 and xu4:
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/software/partition_table

Also they propose two partitions: one for fat with the boot files, one for
the root fs (e.g. linux). Debian proposes the same, right?
I noticed armbian uses one linux partition (haven't checked which fs), thus
I wonder: can u-boot read from ext4 or similar?
Are there reasons to not do that?

https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/device-tree/README
tells me the dtb files come from the linux kernel?
The kernel is the same or close enough, so using the sd-card image from
network/ but replacing the initrd and vmlinuz with the network-console/
variant is ok, even with keeping the dtb files unchanged?

I failed to find a source for the usb-uart converter with the odroid cable
that ships within eu, is on stock and not priced extremely high, will need
to continue hunting for one.

But this is the procedure I think that might work:

# Debian Installer for armhf (arm 32-bit), daily build
# Download the partition image and the generic firmware image
wget
https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/netboot/SD-card-images/partition.img.gz
wget
https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/netboot/SD-card-images/firmware.none.img.gz

# Merge both into one image for the SD card
zcat firmware.none.img.gz partition.img.gz > SD_card.img

# Download the kernel and initrd for the network install image
wget
https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/network-console/initrd.gz
wget https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/network-console/vmlinuz

# Download the latest uboot for exynos
wget
https://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/u/u-boot/u-boot-exynos_2017.09+dfsg1-2_armhf.deb

dpkg-deb -x u-boot-exynos_*_armhf.deb u-boot-debian

# Download u-boot source tree with patches and binary files from hardkernel
git clone https://github.com/hardkernel/u-boot -b odroidxu4-v2017.05

mkdir odroid-hc1-u-boot
cp u-boot-debian/usr/lib/u-boot/odroid-xu3/u-boot.bin odroid-hc1-u-boot/
cp
u-boot/sd_fuse/{bl1.bin.hardkernel,bl2.bin.hardkernel.720k_uboot,sd_fusing.sh,tzsw.bin.hardkernel}
odroid-hc1-u-boot/

# Install the SD card image to the device
echo sudo -i dd if=$PWD/SD_card.img of=/dev/\$DEVICE

# Install the odroid u-boot loader with proprietory firmware
echo cd odroid-hc1-u-boot; ./sd_fusing.sh /dev/\$DEVICE; cd ..

# Mount the boot partition, replace the kernel and initrd
echo unplug and insert again or run blkdev --rereadpt /dev/\$DEVICE
echo sudo -i mount /dev/\$DEVICE1 /mnt
echo sudo -i cp $PWD/{vmlinuz,initrd.gz} /mnt
echo sudo -i umount /mnt

Does that sound like a proper direction?

Thanks, Andreas