Are you aware that debian-installer is not going to be used for woody?  Most of
us are working on boot-floppies now to make them ready for the woody release. I
do hope to have debian-installer at least functional for brave people to install
woody, but it will take more work.

I don't mean to discourage you from working on debian-installer, please work on
it, just want to make sure we are on the same page.

Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 07:53:22PM +0200 wrote:
> I have just begun to test debian-installer and I have severals
> questions:
>
> 1) Why do I need to put modutils-basic_2.4.1-2_i386.udeb in
> build/localudebs/
> ( http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/debian-installer )
> modutils-basic.udeb is in directory udebs/ (downloaded during make)

because:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=83608&repeatmerged=yes
hasn't been closed yet.

> 2) Even if debian-installer downloads libraries (.udeb) at the begining
> of the compilation, it doesn't use them and uses system's librairies
> instead (with mklibs.sh)! Why?
> I had to install libdetect and pics librairies (only found linc6-pic and
> libslang-pic) on my system.
>
> 3) Line 235 in Makefile:
>         I have modified the line:
>         rm $(TREE)/lib/$$lib.*; \
>
>         by
>         if [ -e $(TREE)/lib/$$lib.* ]; then \
>                 rm $(TREE)/lib/$$lib.*; \
>         fi \
> because after mklibs I receive this error message:
> rm: cannot remove `./tmp/tree/lib/libdebconf.*': No such file or
> directory
not sure about that one, mklibs.sh is voodo.

> 4) You refere to UPX in Makefile but if I uncomment UPX and set the
> path, it doesn't work.
> Anyway, UPX isn't used in Makefile.
that's experimental, can potentially make things a lot smaller, but the upx
license is potentially non-free.

> 5) Ok, except these problems, when I use the floppy:
>         - network card detection OK
>         - manual network configuration OK
>         - DHCP doesn't work
>         Here is the error message:
>                 dhclient eth0
>                 installer[59]:expr:not found
>                 installer[59]:expr:not found
>                 installer[59]:expr:not found
>                 installer[59]:[:2:unexpected operator
>                 installer[59]:[:2:unexpected operator
>                 modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-17
>                 installer[59]:socket: Address family not supported by
> protocol
>                 installer[59]: Make sure to set CONFIG_PACKET=y and
> CONFIG_FILTER=y in your kernel configuration!
>                 installer[59]: exiting
I thought we had fixed this.  I thought we added expr to busybox, guess not.
We also added both those configs to the d-i kernel, I thought.

>         - Finishing setting up the debian installer doesn't work
no one has written a debootstrap module for debian-installer yet.

>       Only http seems working
>       I had zcat and ar problems so I have changed busybox version to 0.50
> and replaced the busybox zcat by the zcat from my system.
see:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=94331&repeatmerged=yes
as well as recent (today) messages on debian-boot.

>       The problem come from wget. Any servers seems working.
>       For example, with http.us.debian.org, I receive HTTP/1.0 403 Forbidden
> error messages.

I've gotten that from http.us.debian.org, there is a note in :
http://cvs.debian.org/~checkout~/boot-floppies/todo?rev=1.82&content-type=text/plain
Looks like both boot-floppies and debian-installer have the same problem.
Someone needs to catch this on a sniffer and solve the problem.

David