If we are going to use UTF-8 for the installer, then we need a new
editor instead of ae. I looked at the source for ae and thought it
would be easier to write a new editor from scratch than to add
multibyte support to ae.

QEmacs may be the answer: http://www-stud.enst.fr/~bellard/qemacs/

Last time I looked, ae was 23888 bytes.

The binary for version 0.2 of QEmacs is 24060 bytes.

I've just tried it out quickly, and, yes, it does allow me to edit a
UTF-8 file in a UTF-8 xterm. I did manage to segfault it, though, so
it's not a finished work. Also, I'm not sure whether it can do 8-bit
charsets or only UTF-8.

Worth looking at, I think.

There isn't a Debian package yet.

Edmund