On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 05:49:15PM +0300, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 01:35:57PM +0200, Miroslav Kure wrote:
> >
> >  * During the instalation, we have correct font only on the first tty
> >    (the installer itself). If I switch to the shell on the second
> >    console, most of the accented letters are prited as boxes instead.
> >    After the install, all six ttys are correctly initialized with the
> >    proper font.
>
> This is expected because the installer doesn't have setfont utility (but
> if the d-i team decides to put there setfont, then no change in
> console-setup is required in order to make all consoles configured).

Well, to be honest, I do not see much point in supporting nonascii
characters on the other consoles *during installation*. Important is
that the installer screens itself work as expected.

> >  * With the previous setup, when selecting Czech keyboard, it still
> >    defaulted to English layout and only by pressing some magic key
> >    (IIRC Scroll Lock), it switched to the Czech one.
> >    Now we have Czech layout by default (this can probably be seen as
> >    an improvement by most of the users), but I found no way to switch
> >    back to the English layout (and eventualy back to Czech).
> >    I know how to do that after the installation (by editing the XKB*
> >    options in /etc/default/console-setup), but it would be nice if we
> >    were able to preset these options even for the installation.
>
> It is possible to make this, however the same setup will be used by X
> too and this will be unexpected by the users.

On the contrary, it will be perfectly expected by the users. When you
install any of the Microsoft operating systems and choose to install
Czech keyboard layout, it will by default install also the English one
as an option.

Indeed, we had similar setup in Debian when we used XFree86 and
localization-config packages: for installations in Czech it used the
following setup for X:

  'cs_CZ' => { LAYOUT => 'us,cz_qwerty', XKBOPTIONS =>
'grp:shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll' },

The us layout came first, as it was consistent with the console -
these days I would use cz first and drop the qwerty variant, but the
point is the same.

> It is possible to preseed such configuration by giving the value of
> XKBLAYOUT to console-setup/layoutcode and the value of XKBVARIANT to
> console-setup/variantcode.

Thanks, I will preseed my installations with this!

--
Miroslav Kure