Joey Hess wrote:
> Assuming we want debootstrap to remain an arch-all package, which is
> convenient as it allows updating debootstrap very quickly, we need
> some way to build the linux-specific devices.tar.gz in a cross-platform way.
> One way would be to add a switch or environment variable that made MAKEDEV
> skip the non-Linux system check.
>
> Alternatively, debootstrap could stop including the device tarball,
> and bind mounting /dev. (It already does something similar on kfreebsd.)
> However, this would mean a debootstrapped chroot would need to have its /dev
> remounted after reboot (like its /proc and /sys already need to be).

Another option would be for debootstrap to drop devices.tar.gz and
instead install into the chroot the makedev package and run MAKEDEV if
/dev doesn't already contain console, stdin, null, and zero. makedev is
extra priority, but it should be ok for it to be present in debootstrapped
chroots. (And the admin can always remove it if desired.)

If anyone expects to be able to take a netinst cd and manually run
debootstrap against that, that would break it, as the netinst won't have
makedev. (But they could bind mount /dev the way d-i does).

--
see shy jo