Hi,

In order to ensure that packages marked as "key" for a task remain present
and installable in testing, britney uses a generated "faux" package which
depends on each of the packages. This approach has, with the odd minor
niggle, worked fine for some time but breaks down as soon as the set of
packages involved are not completely coinstallable; this is now the case
due to the gnome-desktop task indirectly depending on gdm3, and the xfce
and lxde desktop tasks depending on gdm. The net effect is that the faux
package becomes useless for the purpose of determining installability of
the set of key packages, as it is itself uninstallable.

We've therefore been looking at splitting the single faux package in to a
set of faux packages, one per task. This maintains the overall property of
requiring all of the packages to be installable but only requires that the
packages within each task are co-installable; if there are particular
combinations of tasks which are expected / desired to remain
co-installable then we could add further faux packages depending on sets
of the task packages.

Comments on or problems with the above welcome.

Regards,

Adam